Ask.com, the number one online brand for questions and answers and an operating business of IAC (Nasdaq: IACI), today released not only its top questions for 2010 but, for the first time, the most popular corresponding answers from real users, fueled by its growing Q&A community. While users still came to the site with queries about their health, hot new technologies and favorite celebrities, they also looked to other Ask.com users for answers on such subjective questions as the most romantic spot for a wedding proposal, or the right dog to fit their lifestyle.
“With live people now addressing user questions, we see not only what people want to know, but real-time answers on a wide scope of issues and topics,” said Doug Leeds, President of Ask.com US. “It’s a freeze frame on the current mindset of consumers, focused on everything from products and brands to culture and politics.”
Users turned to Ask for answers on everything from the best cup of coffee to start their day, to the TV show they should watch to unwind in the evening. The top questions were selected based on answer volume and quality.
Ask.com’s Top 10 Questions – and Answers – of 2010
1. What is the best coffee under $10? Users say: Dunkin Donuts
2. Are the new mini net books any good? Users say: Go with an iPad
3. Where should I propose to my girlfriend? Users say: Take her where you went on your first date
4. What’s the best cure for a stuffy nose? Users say: Hot shower and Vicks Vapor Rub
5. What is the best child-friendly sushi? Users say: California Rolls, but Unagi and Ebi are also great choices
6. As a beginner, is it worth paying for expensive ski boots? Users say: Cut your teeth on some cheap ones
7. What kind of dog should I get? Users say: Either a Boxer or a Lab
8. What are the best websites for travel deals? Users say: Kayak.com and Travelzoo
9. Do you have to peel apples when making homemade apple pie? Users say: Absolutely
10. What’s the best new TV show? Users say: The Big Bang Theory
Ask.com also revealed the most popular questions answered via search on its site, the fourth largest Internet property for unique searches, attracting 90 million monthly unique users. This year, celebrity culture continued to dominate with the most asked question in this category focusing on none other than Justin Bieber – with Taylor Swift and Kim Kardashian not far behind.
Top Celebrity and Entertainment Questions:
1. How old is Justin Bieber?
2. Who is Taylor Swift dating?
3. Does Justin Bieber have a girlfriend?
4. How old is Kim Kardashian?
5. Who is the highest paid teen star?
6. Is Lady Gaga a man?
7. What is Slash’s real name?
8. Is Nicki Minaj gay?
9. Is Beyonce pregnant?
10. Is Demo Lovato in rehab?
Not surprisingly, questions about Apple products, including the iPhone and iPod Touch, made the top ten technology list in 2010.
Top Technology/Internet Questions:
1. What is the best brand of laptop?
2. What is the best online game for iPod Touch?
3. What is the best iPhone app?
4. Is Apple coming out with the iPhone 5?
5. Which is best: AT&T, Verizon or Sprint?
6. What is an RSS feed?
7. How do I create my own website?
8. Is there a website where I can watch free movies online?
9. What is the best available smart phone?
10. Where can I download free music?
In 2010, users continued to turn to the Web as a resource for a variety of health-related topics. For the second year running, “How much should I weigh?” and “How do I get pregnant?” remained at the top of the list for the health and fitness category.
Top Health and Fitness Questions:
1. How much should I weigh?
2. How do I get pregnant?
3. What’s the best treatment for a migraine headache?
4. How long does it take to get out of shape?
5. How long does marijuana stay in your system?
6. What’s the fastest way to lose weight and keep it off?
7. How many calories are in a pound?
8. Can men get breast cancer?
9. What causes hiccups?
10. What are the symptoms of the swine flu?
Ask.com is the number one online brand for questions and answers and an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IACI). The Ask Network of sites is the 4th largest property in the US for unique searches according to October 2010 comScore data with 90 million domestic unique monthly users. Ask.com also syndicates search and advertising solutions to a network of affiliate partners.
Ask for iPhone is now available for download here: http://www.facebook.com/Askdotcom