TMR Zoo Message Board

Full Version: What's up everyone.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How's it going everyone. I am Kurnal I am an avid gamer and I enjoy some college football. I usually run Xbox One games but I enjoy everything from PC to the Nintendo Switch. My computer is nothing special. It's mid end set up with an Asus motherboard, 16gb ram, 2TB HDD, AMD Rayzen 6 core, with a 750ti gtx Geforce. I play a variety of games from sims to shooters. So let's liven this area up and nerd it up fellas.
There hasn't been a good game made since 2001.

Retro gaming is where it's at. You can't can't beat me with a credit card. You have to actually be good at the game. 

I like what I'm seeing in games like PUBG, but the rest of the modern games are still just loot box, gotcha games. 

I say break out the NES or Raspberry Pi, and let's play some real games.

[Image: 2fc9l1.jpg]

Welcome to the party, Kurnal.
(08-05-2018, 03:26 PM)karpathion Wrote: [ -> ]There hasn't been a good game made since 2001.

Retro gaming is where it's at. You can't can't beat me with a credit card. You have to actually be good at the game. 

I like what I'm seeing in games like PUBG, but the rest of the modern games are still just loot box, gotcha games. 

I say break out the NES or Raspberry Pi, and let's play some real games.

[Image: 2fc9l1.jpg]

Welcome to the party, Kurnal.
That may be true in some aspects. But, not all retro games require skill more or less button smashing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Example?
(08-05-2018, 07:38 PM)karpathion Wrote: [ -> ]Example?
Pretty much any fighting game Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Super Smash Bros. Hell you could even throw the xlassic Track and Field game from NES in there.

I'll give you the Track and Field. It is a button smasher.

I can't agree with the fighting games from second and third gen systems. If all you are doing in Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, or Tekken is button smashing, you are in for a long day against an experienced player.

Fighting games are like dancing. If you are in the corner two stepping, the break dancers are going to make you look horrible by comparison. Fighters take mad skill and timing to hit the top ranks. It's not easy.

Smash Brothers is a whole different beast. That game is it's own genre. While it is a fighter, its designed for younger players to have success. Button smashing can be effective in those games, but it's all alone on that front. In my opinion.
Experience in those games is knowing the button combo for the special moves. Everything in between those attacks is button smashing.

Special moves, in every single game mentioned can be blocked, avoided, or countered. You just have to play a lot to learn the timing and proper methods.

There is a reason you have never seen an 8-12 year old who is just pushing buttons win a SF, MK, Tekken, Killer Instinct, or Soul Calibre tournament. It doesn't happen.

Watch, listen, and learn.

That can be said with any game but the fact remains that they all fall in a button smashing genre. I mean you google the line button smashing games any of the ones I mentioned will show up. But, I think you are getting me wrong by the term button smasher. I'm not saying you can go and just kill a controller and expect to win. Im saying in between combos and feeling someone out, you smash some buttons.

I can agree with that. Now, we can get back to the difference in retro vs modern.

We have already established that older games require nothing more than skill and a couple of controllers. Maybe a little luck every now and then. 

My argument is that retro games are superior, for said reasons. Do you find it cheesy and slightly oppressive that most modern games can be dominated by who has a bigger wallet? 

Even games like Fortnite, have shown that even though you can't buy your power, the people who spend more money always have better "luck" with powerful weapons finds. That to me is still playing with your wallet, and allows richer players oppress the poorer players with more money, not skill.

Oppression in anything is disgusting. Being oppressed in a video game is beyond comprehension. It's a game. Games are meant to be fun, and test rivals skills on a level playing field. 

When it gets to this point, is it still a game, and is it still fun?
Pages: 1 2