TMR Zoo Message Board
What are you drinking right now? - Printable Version

+- TMR Zoo Message Board (http://www.tmrzoo.com/boards)
+-- Forum: The Zoo Zones (http://www.tmrzoo.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+--- Forum: Beer, Food and Liquor (http://www.tmrzoo.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: What are you drinking right now? (/showthread.php?tid=71)

What are you drinking right now? - Securb - 04-09-2010

Hooch Wrote:Brooklyn Monster Ale

A bit sweet and sticky for me I stick with Bigfoot.

What are you drinking right now? - 3daddict - 04-09-2010

Securb Wrote:A bit sweet and sticky for me I stick with Bigfoot.

Really? I'm just the opposite on that one...there's no accounting for taste!

You have me on two quests, now: The Sam Adams Barleywine and Founders Double Trouble.
:)

What are you drinking right now? - Speng - 04-10-2010

I know Bruce did an article about storing beer awhile back, but I don't remember any specifics about it. I was thinking about busting into the beer I have in the basement but I'm not sure if it'd still be good, it's been down there for five or six years. There's some Sprecher and New Glarus bottles that would go down pretty good right about now. I'm going to have a better look later in the weekend, I know there's some weird shit mixed in there.

What are you drinking right now? - Securb - 04-10-2010

Wow that was my second column for TMR 2004
http://www.tmrzoo.com/?p=2308

Here you go cliff notes updated for 2010:

You want to age higher alcohol beers the higher the ABV the longer you can keep it. I look for 7%+ for anything over a couple of years.

Hops will also help preserve a beer: Barleywines. IPAs and Imperial Stouts are all great candidates. Look for beers with high IBUs 50+ (should be listed on the brewer's website)

You want high ABV% or high IBUs in a perfect world both.

If the beer foams like a volcano throw it out. That would be bacteria.

Store the beer somewhere around 50 degrees that is dark and the temperature does not swing wildly.

Taste it if it taste good then drink it. Both Preacher and New Glarus have plenty of beers that would not only be good after 6 years but actually would be better.

What are you drinking right now? - Speng - 04-10-2010

Cool, thanks. It's been in a dark corner of the basement so I'm hoping it's safe. Does the shit in cans hold up at all?

Back in the early 90's, me and a buddy did some home brewing and instead of bottles we did the soda keg thing. I don't know what happened, maybe because we added yeast twice, but that shit had some serious alcohol in it..it tasted great but you got really hammered after a few glasses. We drank it a few times and sorta forgot about it...it got put in his basement and there it sat.

Every time he moved (three times) he was tempted to throw that half filled keg out but I kept convincing him to keep it, the keg was worth something at least. A few years ago he decided to see how rank the beer was after close to fifteen years unmolested. I wasn't around when he tried it but he said it was really good. He ended up drinking it all over a few weeks.

I thought he'd at least get the shits or something, no luck. :lol:

What are you drinking right now? - Securb - 04-10-2010

Speng Wrote:Does the shit in cans hold up at all?

If the beer is high in alcohol and/or hops it should be good.

What are you drinking right now? - Speng - 04-11-2010

None of the canned stuff is special, it's just basic Miller products, some Guinness Draught...and some really cheap shit.

I didn't drink any of it last night after all. I haven't been eating much lately, no appetite, and I didn't want to wake up feeling like total shit.

What are you drinking right now? - 3daddict - 04-12-2010

Old Monkee Shine by Nimbus Brewing. A local brewer here in AZ where I'm visiting for a few days. It's a mellow rendition of an English ale with good flavor but nearly no finish. They hide the 8.2abv very well.

Of all things I found the Sam Adams Longshot Barleywine here but couldn't bring myself to buy it wanting something out of my distribution area.

What are you drinking right now? - Securb - 04-13-2010

3daddict Wrote:Old Monkee Shine by Nimbus Brewing. A local brewer here in AZ where I'm visiting for a few days. It's a mellow rendition of an English ale with good flavor but nearly no finish. They hide the 8.2abv very well.

Of all things I found the Sam Adams Longshot Barleywine here but couldn't bring myself to buy it wanting something out of my distribution area.

Strongly recomend the garlic fries are great. The BBQed chicken sandwich is awesone.

Gordon Biersch Brewery 420 South Mill Ave Suite 201 Tempe, AZ 85281 “ Another great location for alfresco dinning, Gordon Biersch is located in the back yard of ASU.

What are you drinking right now? - bdog1221 - 04-13-2010

Sublimely SELF-RIGHTEOUS Ale. It was alot darker then any other ale I ever bought, but after finishing it , I wish I had bought more than two.