Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comcast to make monthly Internet use cap official
Comcast to set official limit on Internet use to deter bandwidth hogs

NEW YORK (AP) -- Comcast Corp., the nation's second-largest Internet service provider, Thursday said it would set an official limit on the amount of data subscribers can download and upload each month.

On Oct. 1, the cable company will update its user agreement to say that users will be allowed 250 gigabytes of traffic per month, the company announced on its Web site.
Comcast has already reserved the right to cut off subscribers who use too much bandwidth each month, without specifying exactly what constitutes excessive use.

"We've listened to feedback from our customers who asked that we provide a specific threshold for data usage and this would help them understand the amount of usage that would qualify as excessive," the company said in a statement on its Web site.
Customers who go over the limit are contacted by the company and asked to curb their usage.

"We know from experience the vast majority of customers we ask to curb usage do so voluntarily," the company said. Comcast floated the idea of a 250 gigabyte cap in May and mentioned then that it might charge users $15 for every 10 gigabytes they go over, but the overage fee was missing in Thursday's announcement.

Link goes to story about whores that charge me $150 per month to watch TV
Perv is screwed if he has Comcast
freakin whores.....
This does really piss me off. While I have kind of slacked off on the bit torrent DL'ing over the past few months, I just started again yesterday after installing another hard drive. Comcast fucking sucks. When the fact that they were doing this came into light months ago they apologized for doing it and looked like complete assholes. So now they decide to do it officially?! WTF? I hope they set that maximum usage number way up high so that normal people don't get screwed. Verizon FIOS can't get here fast enough. And yes. They are whores that charge us tons of serious money to run a cable into our house. You pay it, I pay it, our neighbors pay it, their neighbors pay it, the entire town pays it, the entire county pays it, nearly everyone in the state pays it. They're making insane amounts of money just to run a piece of wire from the street into your house. It pisses me off.
A long time ago my daddy said, "Son, always cut away from yourself with a knife, treat every firearm as though it's loaded and never update your BIOS during a lightning storm".
I wish the Government would step in and do something about the cable monopolies, we have the choice of Time Warner or nothing. It's stupid what it costs for even basic cable....almost $60 for shit.
Do they deduct all the unwanted advertising from your bandwith usage?
Will it blend? That is the question.
I am honestly surprised that Microsoft has not stepped in and had something to say about this. With them touting Digital Downloads the future of home entertainment, how many hi-def movies can you download a month when you have a 250gb limit?
Microsoft, NetFlix, Apple. I would think they'd all have an interest.
Will it blend? That is the question.
I would love to have Comcast, even though they FAP at 250 GB. Still living in the stone ages with Dial Up is unacceptable, and the alternatives are bleak. We are too far away for 3G, though we have tried and can only get 16 Kbps. Even if we were able to get wireless Broadband, Sprint and the rest of their friends have gone to a 5GB per month FAP, which is just so much bandwidth I wouldn't know what to do with it all. :rolleyes:

I understand that PervertFreak downloads quite a bit, I have seen his posts, but that limit is great when you look at Sprint, and even Hughesnet.

Time to duck, here comes the shots..............:eek:
This is great now they will reduce your bandwith while you are downloading a big file

Comcast is committed to providing you with the best online experience possible.

One of the ways we do that is by managing the leading fiber optic network in the nation to ensure it is fast, safe and reliable. As part of our ongoing efforts to continuously improve the quality of our service, we are switching to a new network congestion management technique by the end of the year. It is focused on managing network congestion only when and where it may occur. It will also replace the current technique and will help ensure that all of our customers receive their fair share of network resources.

What does this mean for you? Probably nothing. We ran five market trials of this technique over the summer and found that less than one percent of customers were affected. So, the vast majority of customers will not notice any change to their Internet experience as a result of this new technique. During the times of busiest network use (which could occur at any hour, depending on your neighborhood), those very few extraordinarily heavy users – who are doing things like conducting multiple and continuous large file transfers – may experience slightly longer response times for some online activities until the period of network congestion ends.

As we transition to this new technique, we have amended our Acceptable Use Policy ("AUP") and posted it on the Comcast.net Web site. For links to the amended AUP, as well as answers to Frequently Asked Questions and more information about this new technique or our network management efforts in general, please visit our Network Management Policy page at: [/b][/COLOR][/FONT]www.comcast.net/networkmanagement.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ever wonder what it takes to make a comic book? johnjohn 0 2,071 01-19-2015, 07:54 PM
Last Post: johnjohn
  Make Your Crib Smell Like... lreese 1 2,600 09-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Securb
  Digusting Videos that will make you physically sick Hooch 8 7,377 06-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Speng
  Internet Dating CDeVoss 2 2,872 02-25-2013, 12:09 AM
Last Post: Securb