Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don LaFontaine - Movie Trailer Voice Dies
(CNN) -- Don LaFontaine, the voice-over king whose "In a world ..." phrase on movie trailers was much-copied -- and much-parodied -- has died, according to media reports. He was 68.

LaFontaine died Monday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California, according to ETOnline, "Entertainment Tonight's" Web site. He died from complications from pneumothorax -- a collapsed lung that causes air to build in the pleural cavity -- his agent, Vanessa Gilbert, told "ET."

LaFontaine, who was born in Duluth, Minnesota, began as a voice actor in the mid-1960s while working as a recording engineer, according to his Web site. His strong, slightly gravelly voice was featured on trailers for thousands of films, including "The Godfather," "Fatal Attraction" and "Terminator 2: Judgment Day." For a time in the late '70s, LaFontaine was the official voice of Paramount Pictures.

His favorite work was one he did for the 1980 film "The Elephant Man," he said in interviews.

He also provided the voice for hundreds of commercials, for companies such as General Motors, Ford, McDonald's, Coca-Cola, and many others, according to his Web site.

The good-humored LaFontaine was willing to poke fun at himself, particularly in a recent ad for GEICO insurance, in which he gave dramatic flair to a woman's story about her car accident, and the trailer for "The Simpsons Movie," in which his description was meant with commentary from the film's characters.

But LaFontaine was most famous for his phrase "In a world ...," used by seemingly dozens of movies determined to create an otherworldly atmosphere.

LaFontaine told CNN that the scripts gave him the cues for his delivery.

"They dictate how they want to be read," he told "Showbiz Tonight" in 2005. "It's pretty much straightforward stuff, because -- you know the context of the film generally going in. If it's something like 'King Kong,' you have a pretty good idea of how you`re going to say it. It's going to be a big adventure thing. And I let the strip more or less guide what I`m going to say."

He added that there was no secret to his movie trailer work: "I really think this is one of the few industries where everything is right up there," he told CNN. "What you see is what you get."

Still, he noted, it's not like he could use his movie-trailer voice everywhere.

"If I tried to use that voice in public," he said, "they'd be calling security."

LaFontaine is survived by his wife, actress and singer Nita Whitaker, and three children, Christine, Skye and Elyse.
Will it blend? That is the question.
That sucks. Who the hell can replace that guy?
They should do the eulogy in the style of his voice
Too bad.... rip.

In a world where real actors die real deaths..... one man has to join them.

A little bit about the man himself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPMvj_xejg

And he was also the guy in the recent Geico commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJMGS7l0w...re=related
movies won't ever be the same....... ever.
He was as much a part of movies as popcorn and oversized, over-priced drinks.
There's no crying in baseball
in all honesty, they probably have some lame voice converting software so anyone can sounds like him.......

that'd be fun to have on your phone.....
3dR3 Wrote:in all honesty, they probably have some lame voice converting software so anyone can sounds like him.......

that'd be fun to have on your phone.....

It could start, "In a world where no one is home...."
There's no crying in baseball
Man, that sucks. He really was a part of the movies.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If this shit don't get your weiner wigglin... FORMULA73 10 13,161 07-21-2015, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Dr. Vegetable
  Don't Poke the... lreese 2 3,711 01-24-2015, 06:52 PM
Last Post: lreese
  Clamping.Not my car, you don't.. GoldenVulture 3 3,974 10-26-2014, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Dr. Vegetable
  I don't know what I was thinking... youngthrasher9 7 7,216 09-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Last Post: GoldenVulture
  I Don't Get It Gator 28 25,305 10-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Last Post: 3dR3
  British Nanny Dies While Using Sex Toy Speng 16 17,587 07-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Securb
  don't laugh 3dR3 5 5,225 12-02-2009, 10:04 AM
  Band Of Brothers Hero, Darrell ‘Shifty’ Powers Dies Speng 4 4,997 07-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Waruikaze
  Don't Play with Poo Speng 9 9,167 05-08-2009, 08:00 AM
  Why men don't write advice columns TooFunny 1 2,325 11-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Last Post: TooFunny