Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to see Paul McCartney
Tomorrow night [ 6-12-17 ]
I got offered a ticket that wasn't going to be used so I took up the option.
I haven't been to a concert for decades so this will be a change.
Paul should be good.
I have to drive to Melb which is 4 1/2 > 5 hours drive there. I'm staying at my sisters afterwards and will probaly hang around Melb for another day and catch up with a few people.
:toast:
[-] The following 1 user Likes GoldenVulture's post:

Should be good he has 2 great guitar players and everyone else in his band too , Stay safe and have fun !
Do as thou wilt . Aleister Crowley
[-] The following 1 user Likes Oinkus's post:

Sounds like fun! [emoji1303][emoji41]
You do the best you can with what you have to work with
[-] The following 1 user Likes BriGuy1968's post:

My niece saw him recently. She said he took no breaks in a 2 1/2 hour set and that he sounded as good as ever.
Because I said so. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes LesStrat's post:

A three hour performance. Many Beatle tunes, some Wings and more. Paul played Bass, Acoustic Guitar , Electric Guitar, Acoustic Piano and Electric Piano during the show. The backing players were great. [ Drums, Keyboard and two guitarists , one of which alterated with Paul playing bass.]My one criticism is of the sound mix. It was too rumbling and bottom end boosted which just made it murky. This made the bass playing indistinct which was annoying to say the least and made the overall mix unclear. Considering their equipment it could've/should've been a lot better. I blame it on the sound mixer.

As I said there were many beatle tunes performed either loud and electric or Acoustically. He did a solo acoustic version of Yesterday, on a guitar that is apparently the one he originally wrote the song with. Pretty moving.
He did a few songs of John and Georges. He even paid homage to Jimi Hendrix. The Acoustic stuff didn't suffer from the mix.
The lead guitarist used quite an array of guitars during the night , as did Paul. Even the keyboard player played a guitar during one song.
" and a splendid time was guaranteed for all " .
:toast:
[-] The following 3 users Like GoldenVulture's post:

That bottom end deal seems to be the current standard in many events for some unknown reason? I take earplugs to movies these days but no idea how someone that runs sound for Paul is not doing his job properly ? Grats on the splendid time !
Do as thou wilt . Aleister Crowley
[-] The following 1 user Likes Oinkus's post:

(12-09-2017, 06:48 AM)Oinkus Wrote: That bottom end deal seems to be the current standard in many events for some unknown reason? I take earplugs to movies these days but no idea how someone that runs sound for Paul is not doing his job properly ? Grats on the splendid time !

It appears they're trying to emulate the subsonic bottom end they stick on recordings  these days. It works fine on studio product but it sucks live, especially if they don't get it right.

Quote: This made the bass playing indistinct which was annoying to say the least and made the overall mix unclear.

As Paul was playing bass a lot and the feature artist I was a bit surprised the mix was so bad in that area.

They got that concert in just in time . I stayed in Melb. the next day and that night it just pissed with rain.
I hate an overly bassy, muddy sound mix. Went and saw a show headlined by Slayer a few years ago. The only act that had a good clear mix was King Diamond. He must have brought his own sound person.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Demanic's post:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RIP Trans-Siberian Orchestra founder Paul O'Neill dies at 61 treyhaislip 0 3,875 04-06-2017, 01:15 PM
Last Post: treyhaislip
  RIP Paul Revere Dr. Vegetable 3 5,264 10-10-2014, 09:44 PM
Last Post: GoldenVulture
  Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009) Securb 11 15,256 08-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Securb