Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phillies TV man Kalas dies at 73
I am very sad to report the following that was announced just a few minutes ago:

Phillies TV man Kalas dies at 73
ESPN.com news services

WASHINGTON -- Philadelphia Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas has died at the age of 73, team president David Montgomery said Monday.

Kalas, who also filled a voiceover role for NFL Films since 1975, was taken to a hospital Monday after passing out in the broadcast booth before Monday's game against the Washington Nationals.

The 73-year-old Kalas, known for his distinctive "Outta here!" call on home runs, was found by the Phillies director of broadcasting at about 12:30 p.m., Montgomery said.

Kalas joined the Phillies in 1971. Before that, he was an original member of the Houston Astros' broadcast team from 1965-70.

In 2002, he received the Baseball Hall of Fame's Ford C. Frick Award for his contributions to the game.

He will be missed my millions, including me. There was no better baseball announcer.
There's no crying in baseball
He was also the voice of NFL Films.

RIP Harry. At least he got to call the final pitch of a Phillies World Series win last year. The series in 1980 was re-created by him, but he didn't do the original call.

Harry Kalas is (I didn't say was) an institution in Philadelphia sports and will be sorely missed.
Hooch Wrote:The series in 1980 was re-created by him, but he didn't do the original call.

I didn't know that. I already put that the 2008 World Series call was his 2nd of his career with the Phillies.
Here are a few of his most memorable calls, as listed by AP this afternoon:

• Six no-hitters
• Mike Schmidt's 500th home run on April 18, 1987 (I remember this one very well)
• Every one of Steve Carlton's starts from 1972-86
• Pete Rose's 3,631st career hit on Aug. 10, 1981 (which broke Stan Musial's NL record)
• First game at the Houston Astrodome, April 12, 1965
• First game at Veterans Stadium, April 10, 1971
• First game at Citizens Bank Park, April 12, 2004
• Was in his 43rd year as a MLB broadcaster
• Phillies broadcaster since 1971; member of original Astros broadcast team in 1965
• Inducted into the broadcaster's wing of the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 2002
• Named Pennsylvania Sportscaster of the year 18 times

Yes, a true legend in his field
Gator Wrote:I didn't know that. I already put that the 2008 World Series call was his 2nd of his career with the Phillies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/28/sports...28why.html
Quote:Kalas was finishing his first decade with the team that season, but Major League Baseball rules prevented local broadcasts of the World Series.

There is no authentic call of Kalas at the 1980 World Series; Vin Scully and Sparky Anderson had the microphone for CBS Radio. By the Phillies’ next World Series appearance, in 1983, baseball had changed the rule and allowed local radio stations to continue carrying the games.

“The outcry of Phillie fans had M.L.B. change it,” Kalas said Monday. “Phillie fans really let themselves be heard. They wanted to hear Harry and Whitey calling the World Series.”

Harry called Phillies games since before I was born. I can't imagine anyone else bringing what Harry did to the table.
Get a room
You can't replace Harry.... He's been calling the games since before I was born and like many others don't know anything else as far as game calling goes.

I'd say with the Phils being world champs again it's probably time to stop watching baseball anyway...
3dR3 Wrote:I'd say with the Phils being world champs again it's probably time to stop watching baseball anyway...

Yeah, they're good for another 25 years. Tune back in then.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bears' Gaines Adams Dies At Age 26 Gator 1 2,501 01-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Gator