Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
He couldn't go on without Favre
Madden retires after 30 years in booth

John Madden, a fixture in NFL broadcast booths for 30 years, has decided to retire, he announced Thursday in a statement released by NBC Sports.

Madden, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame and former Super Bowl-winning coach of the Oakland Raiders, has been a game analyst and TV personality since walking away from coaching in 1979.

"It's time. I'm 73 years old. My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall," Madden said. "I have two great sons and their families and my five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when I'm home and, more importantly, when I'm not."

"It's been such a great ride," he added. The NFL has been my life for more than 40 years, it has been my passion -- It still is. ... It's still fun and that's what it makes it hard and that's why it took me a few months to make a decision.

"I still love every part of it -- the travel, the practices, the game film, the games, seeing old friends and meeting new people... but I know this is the right time."

Madden worked as lead analyst for all four networks broadcasting NFL football games, forming tandems with Pat Summerall at CBS and Fox and Al Michaels at ABC and NBC. He won 16 Emmy awards for outstanding sports analyst/personality.

His last game in the booth was Pittsburgh's Super Bowl victory over Arizona.

He also lent his name and voice to EA Sports' popular "Madden NFL Football" video game, which is the top-selling sports video game of all time.

Madden led the Raiders to an overall record of 103-32-7, seven AFC West titles and a victory over the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl XI. His .750 winning percentage remains the highest of any coach in NFL history. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2006.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4073253
Will it blend? That is the question.
I know it is fun and popular to take shots at the guy but I kind of liked him, a lot better that some of the douche bags that have been in the booth over the years. ie The Dennis Miller experiment.

Mark my words Favre will be his successor
Securb Wrote:Mark my words Favre will be his successor

If that happened, I couldn't see him lasting more then a year. Favre doesn't have the verbal skills to carry a conversation for more then a few minutes.

I could see him during a Packers game, bitching and making all kinds of snide remarks....before he starting crying.
Speng Wrote:If that happened, I couldn't see him lasting more then a year. Favre doesn't have the verbal skills to carry a conversation for more then a few minutes.

I could see him during a Packers game, bitching and making all kinds of snide remarks....before he starting crying.

He'd say he was just trying it out for the first year, then every year after he would make his triumphant decision to return right before the first game.

As for Madden, he probably saw his buddy Harry Kalas drop dead in the booth at his age and doesn't want to follow suit.
I honestly think it is his time to retire......
Cathy Lee is back do you think it is time for Frank to go back in the booth?
Securb Wrote:Cathy Lee is back do you think it is time for Frank to go back in the booth?

He's still alive?
Hooch Wrote:He's still alive?

Actually he died the day he married Cathey Lee
I liked Madden with Summerall. They were a great team because Pat is so even toned and low keyed that he was a perfect fit with Madden. Nobody else worked as well with him. Past couple of season, he just didn't seem the same. Same with Harry Carey with the Cubs the last few years of his life.
Will it blend? That is the question.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Brett Favre Thread Gator 210 218,473 07-19-2015, 05:42 PM
Last Post: idsnowdog
  Brett Favre is considering un-hanging it up... again Securb 106 96,940 08-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Speng