Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hell's Kitchen
Anyone watching the new season?
I have decided that I am getting old (45 in a couple of weeks) and TV is becoming my life. I need to go to TVA. Sadly, yes, I watch Hell's Kitchen, and I like it.

The good thing, I guess, is that I watch many of these shows with my wife and not sitting alone in the dark with a bottle of scotch in one hand and the remote in the other, trying to figure out which to put down so I can put one of my hands down my pants.

I still refuse to watch some shows: Anything to do with narrowing down people to marry, anything to do with weight loss (I'm up to a stealthy 350 lb after retiring from the military 5 years ago -- just kidding), any celeb or family reality show, anything on TLC... most anything else is fair game.
There's no crying in baseball
I used to watch it when it was on during the Summer (like now) but once they started showing it earlier in the year I lost interest. I had all of last season recorded but I realized I was never going to watch it so it's gone.

I've been trying to cut back on my tv viewing, so it's no loss.
Speng Wrote:I had all of last season recorded but I realized I was never going to watch it so it's gone.

I ended up doing that with both The Unit and the Sarah Connor Chronicles. I had most of the last half of the season of both DVRd, but once they cancelled them, I didn't much see the point.
I thought some of you in the hospitality industry may enjoy the show...

I just wanted some insight to working on the line. I mean, some of those people fuck up chicken.... why would you sign up for a show when you can't make a chicken breast?

There was a woman from my area on the show, she was also the first one voted off.

oops....
3dR3 Wrote:some of those people fuck up chicken.... why would you sign up for a show when you can't make a chicken breast?

Some of the people on that show fuck up toast.. It's a total mystery to me what test they've passed to get on there.
These people are so inept I couldn't believe the asshole dropping the shrimp repeatedly on the floor and then going off on the Maitre'd
3dR3 Wrote:I thought some of you in the hospitality industry may enjoy the show...

I just wanted some insight to working on the line. I mean, some of those people fuck up chicken.... why would you sign up for a show when you can't make a chicken breast?

There was a woman from my area on the show, she was also the first one voted off.

oops....

The funny thing is it does have some similarities to working on the line, everyone is yelling in the back, the expeditor (typically the sous chef) is trying to ensure the orders are right and look good and the wait staff is typically complaining because they want their order now or they won't get a big enough tip, even though your being butt raped with orders and sweating like Patrick Ewing.

Depending on where you work the competition could be just as bad and people either not caring or messing your stuff up but not for a cash price just because they don't like you or thier high or whatever the reason. But it is also friggin fun, most of my time on the line I had a blast, I liken it to sports, where you felt like you were a team and you wanted to bang out as many orders without anything getting sent back as quick as possible and the people I worked with we had fun doing it..

Oh and yes depending on where you work some people on the line can't cook chicken, or toast or calamari, or whatever it sometimes happens when it is game time.

If you want to see a great representation of working on the line check out Anthony Bourdain's episode when he goes back to NYC and works on the line at his old restaurant he goes into great detail describing the life, etc. Plus he works a double on the line that night the episode it amazing as a Chef one of my favorite depictions of working the line and why I got out, ha!
"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try."

Homer Simpson
3dR3 Wrote:There was a woman from my area on the show

Same here, some chick from my area too, she wasn't voted off yet. I don't know what her name was, I wasn't listening too carefully when they mentioned it on TV.
I'll have to check that out Franchise...

Suddenly Jean Philipe seemed tough when he was butting heads with the texas dude