Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AFI 10 Top 10
Worm Wrote:hey Hooch I am all for it, how will we do this? everyone does their top 10 in the 10 categories then majority rules and we post it up on the site?

Should we do a War category and make it 11 categories or just stick with the AFI guidelines?

We could just make our own 10 categories....fuck courtroom dramas.
We can do it however... even if we all just discuss it in a dedicated thread for each category. Or we can do the vote thing.

However we decide, I can put a link to it up in the nav bar. We can change it at will too.
Here are the AFI categories:

Animation
Romatic Comedies
Western
Sports
Mystery
Fantasy
Science Fiction
Gangster Films
Courtroom Dramas
Epic
Speng Wrote:Here are the AFI categories: Gangster Films

No GoodFellas, Boys In The Hood, Once Upon A Time In America, A Bronx Tale? What a crock of shit.
Worm Wrote:Okay, it's the American Film Institute, which means lots of Meryl Streep, James Cagney and Alfred Hitchcock, but man did they fuck up a few times. First off, where the fuck is the WAR Category? You have a COURTROOM DRAMA Category, but no War? I mean what the fuck is that about? I can name the winners right now, in no particular order:

Saving Private Ryan, Patton, Platoon, All Quiet on the Western Front, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, The Longest Day, Das Boot and the Deer Hunter.

Hell I could name 5 more if i wanted to. Sure SPR and All Quiet made it into the Epics, but where the fuck is Braveheart in the epics? Does anyone actually think Ti-Fuckin-tanic is a better epic than BRAVEHEART? Braveheart is the Definition of Epic!And what the hell is Groundhog Day doing in the top 10 fantasy films, yet there is no Willow, no LOTR Two Towers or Return of the King....fuck that. Batman, Superman, Iron Man, Spiderman, any man? Indiana Jones franchise? Anyone? Anyone in there?

Once again AFI, you suck balls.

Ha ha! Dude that's fucking funny and you're sooo right. I watched some of the AFI thing and saw Groundhog Day and was like WTF?! I can't believe there is no War catagory. ALSO, I've never seen Braveheart or The Deer Hunter. Are they available on Blu-Ray?
We should just pick a category and go to town. Somebody start a dedicated thread, pick a category (and the rules) and we'll all start rattling off the best flicks.
OK, I'll start... Chick Flicks - Steel Magnolias, Driving Miss Daisy, and The English Patient.
Securb Wrote:No GoodFellas, Boys In The Hood, Once Upon A Time In America, A Bronx Tale? What a crock of shit.

Goodfellas was actually number 2. Courtroom Dramas? How the fuck is that even a category over Action/Adventure?
We could just make our own 10 categories....fuck courtroom dramas.[/quote]

Hey, there are some very good courtroom dramas that could easily make a list of top 10 in it's own category:

In no order:
To Kill A Mockingbird
A Few Good Men
12 Angry Men
A Time To Kill
The Rainmaker

and that was just off the top of my head with no real thought put into it.
There's no crying in baseball
Gator Wrote:Hey, there are some very good courtroom dramas that could easily make a list of top 10 in it's own category:

It just seemed like a somewhat random, very specific genre for AFI to select. I haven't really seen many movies that'd fit the category.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top Gun: Maverick LesStrat 1 3,954 06-27-2022, 06:47 AM
Last Post: Securb
  TMR Zoo Top 10 Greatest Science Fiction Films Speng 7 8,062 10-02-2008, 04:35 AM
Last Post: TooFunny
  TMR Zoo Top 10 Greatest Gangster Films Speng 15 16,606 09-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Tina12312
  TMR Zoo Top 10 Greatest Western Films Speng 9 9,681 09-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Worm
  TMR Zoo Top 10 Greatest Fantasy Films Speng 8 8,757 09-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Last Post: bobbyt2
  TMR Zoo Top 10 Greatest Animated Films Speng 14 16,333 08-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Securb
  TMR Zoo Top 10 Greatest Sports Films Speng 16 16,503 07-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Last Post: 3dR3