Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cut the Cord
I finally purchased an HDTV antenna and after becoming familiar with http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx and a wee bit of adjusting and channel scanning I now get HD channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW, PBS) for free. No more #*&%! cable.
It has always irked me to have to have cable to get clear TV reception. Now with HD broadcasts my reception is actually better than using cable. I thought my new 47" Sony Bravia purchase was a mistake but without Time Warner stepping on the signal I now have no complaints. (This post feels like a bad spam message)
Anyway, cutting the cord feels effing good. I'll just have to wait for Game of Thrones to come out on Netflix. Not paying for On Demand Events is saving me some nice change as well.
Next up is a low cost HTPC (Home Theater PC) for internet functionality (Netfix, Hulu, Youtube, Blu-Ray, Pandora, Last FM). I've found Xbox Live and especially PSN to be much more problematic than streaming from my PC.
I use an antenna to pick up the HD signal for my PC, it's just some rabbit ears I had laying around, but they seem to work pretty good.
Find a relative or friend who subscribes to HBO and set up an HBO GO account using their info... then you can watch Game of Thrones (or any other HBO programming) online.
Hooch Wrote:Find a relative or friend who subscribes to HBO and set up an HBO GO account using their info... then you can watch Game of Thrones (or any other HBO programming) online.

Sending you a PM now...:lol:

Good news is that my woman asked last night why couldn't we watch the TV with the computer. As far as I concerned my HTPC just got the green light!
3daddict Wrote:Sending you a PM now...:lol:

Good news is that my woman asked last night why couldn't we watch the TV with the computer. As far as I concerned my HTPC just got the green light!

Just found this sites awesome for watching TV online I can pull them up with my PS3 browser

www.atdhenet.tv and www.argyletv.com
Speng Wrote:I use an antenna to pick up the HD signal for my PC, it's just some rabbit ears I had laying around, but they seem to work pretty good.
can you tel me what kind of antenna we use for better signal strength?
tomnagel Wrote:can you tel me what kind of antenna we use for better signal strength?

Pretty much the basic rooftop antennas that are prevalent in Nagpur, India.
I just setup up my Father in Law with streaming Netflix the guy is in heaven. Every old movie at his fingertips. The downside is my Netflix suggestions are about to get real freaking lame.
Found this great station to watch sports free online. Watching the Fins right now.

http://www.thefirstrow.eu
Securb Wrote:Found this great station to watch sports free online. Watching the Fins right now.

http://www.thefirstrow.eu

I'm always afraid I'll pick up some malware or a virus on sites like that.