Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X-Wing and Tie Fighter Re-releases
Two of my all time favorite PC games!

X-Wing, Tie Fighter Are FINALLY Getting Digital Re-Releases

Special downloadable versions of both X-Wing and Tie Fighter will soon be released on Good Old Games. They'll be $10 each.

For that price you're getting not just the special editions of the games (which had slightly higher resolutions and improved sound, as well all of both games' expansions), but more importantly they'll be editions of the games that will run on a modern PC without the need to tinker.
I liked the editors for those games because you could tweak the fighters setup and revive pilots if they got killed. One of my favorite tweaks was Tie Interceptor with shield and concussion missile launchers. A small maneuverable fighter like that with shields and missiles was nearly indestructible.
I spent so many hours playing X-Wing when it first came out. I'm tempted to get the downloads but my Flightstick Pro would need an adapter. I'd be better off just setting up my old PC and loading up the floppy discs.
oh the memories.
Have it around here somewhere with Mechwarrior
Do as thou wilt . Aleister Crowley
How did I miss this?
I got them downloaded today and haven't been able to stop playing XWing. Until now, I'd been playing a crappy old 93 version on Dosbox that I bought from some dude on ebay probably 8 years ago that was only guaranteed to run on XP. To say the least, it's been problematic.

The 1998 versions of the game are insane. The graphics and sound might not stand up to some of today's stuff, but godDAMN do they affect the game play in a really positive way. Maybe the best $20 I ever spent and I haven't even gotten into Tie Fighter, yet.
Cool, thanks for the mini review. I'm still debating the download, I know if I get the games I'll spend way too much time playing.
I'm a computard. I have no idea how to run one of those pilot editors and I'm already getting pissed. Make LT, die/get captured, go back to Flight Officer.

FUCK.
This is probably the best set of games I've played since, oh, I dunno, 1994. The mechanics are fantastic playing the 1998 versions and the combat is hard as fuck. I've probably put in 100+ hours on just XWing since I downloaded them (ask the wife).

These are amazingly difficult, yet rewarding combat simulators with engaging missions and storylines. I'm totally addicted, again.