Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Sniper
Clint Eastwood NAILED it. Very consistent with the book, well directed, well acted, and he resisted the temptation to show Kyle's death at the end.

The room was silent after the movie ended. The final credits run with no music.

I highly recommend this movie.
Because I said so. 
I am finally checking this movie out tonight. I am 45 minutes in so far and really diggin' it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snake Aces's post:
LesStrat
I thought Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller were great in the film. However I thought the flow of the movie hurt it and kept it from being greater than it was. Eastwood didn't do a good job in my opinion of moving the story along in a consistent manner. Some parts and themes felt rushed along and not explored deeply enough and others dragged out forever. Eastwood was brilliant with the war and fighting sequences but elements like Kyle's PTSD and life leading up to the military and life post military for example were very rushed and lightly touched on when the themes were very deep and could have been explored more thoroughly.

It felt like they wanted to keep the movie from being too long but because of the story flow problems, it felt even longer than if they made it a 3 hour movie that engaged you more.

I dunno I generally love Clint Eastwood and I love movies about our troops and military but this one felt like it could have been so much more than it actually was and that's kind of disappointing. The movie left me wanting to read the book because I felt like I was missing something.

With that being said I'm being nit picky from a movie production standpoint. I love the story overall and I love that the movie was so successful for everyone involved including Chris Kyle's family. I loved the real funeral footage at the end which really was a moving part of the film.....the theater was dead silent here as well.

Overall it's a good movie. I just wish Eastwood did a little better of a job with it.

Full disclosure: I have not read the book but I hope to eventually. I'm reading "Lone Survivor" right now when I can find free time to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Meh. You're an engineer.

;)

The book focuses mostly on his military experience. Some of what you want is not fully explored in the book.

I was more disappointed with some of the changes Eastwood made, such as the first shot at a child. It never happened. He DID shoot a woman, but no child. I did not see a need for those changes, nor do I believe that they enhanced the story in any way.
Because I said so. 
(05-06-2015, 09:18 PM)LesStrat Wrote: Meh. You're an engineer.

;)

The book focuses mostly on his military experience. Some of what you want is not fully explored in the book.

I was more disappointed with some of the changes Eastwood made, such as the first shot at a child. It never happened. He DID shoot a woman, but no child. I did not see a need for those changes, nor do I believe that they enhanced the story in any way.

Yeah I did read he changed that scene and wondered what else he changed. And if the book didn't explore those things deeply then maybe it makes more sense in that regard. I dunno it just felt weird.....one second he's staring at a blank TV and then bam he's fine and helping soldiers in the hospital. Anyway like I said I'm being nit picky. It was still a great movie and I plan to pick it up on blu ray when it comes out and eventually read the book.

I enjoyed the book, as well as Lone Survivor.
Because I said so. 
I have not read the book either. I felt the war aspects of the movie were great but I wouldn't expect anything less from Clint Eastwood. I also felt the ending was rushed. They just kind of hopped into his PTSD and then boom, he was dead and the movie ended. That being said, it did kind of have a lasting impact on my thought because for most people that is how death happens. One minute it's life and the next minute it's over.

I really did appreciate the silent roll of the credits after the funeral footage too. I thought that was a classy touch.

Overall I liked the movie. I did feel it suffered a bit from a lack of final editing from a writing perspective. The action was good and they really captured the military feel at some points but yeah... it wasn't polished.
(05-06-2015, 09:28 PM)LesStrat Wrote: I enjoyed the book, as well as Lone Survivor.

I saw Lone Survivor before I read the book. I loved the movie but the book is incredible. You should definitely read it if you haven't. I'm only halfway through and it's extremely captivating.

[-] The following 1 user Likes hareek's post:
LesStrat
Movies can't reproduce the stories.

The Lone Survivor movie left out critical parts of his escape, and then added a bogus helicopter gunship scene.

It was a decent movie, but nowhere close to the power of the true story.
Because I said so. 
(05-06-2015, 11:14 PM)LesStrat Wrote: Movies can't reproduce the stories.

The Lone Survivor movie left out critical parts of his escape, and then added a bogus helicopter gunship scene.

It was a decent movie, but nowhere close to the power of the true story.

That's true they generally have the Hollywood effect and don't follow the books exactly. But they usually still tell a good story though and I felt American Sniper, from a production and story flow standpoint, could have been better.

But that's why I want to read the book now to understand it in Kyle's own words. I'm not usually a big reader but reading "Lone Survivor" has convinced me that I should be reading more of these books for the movies that I really get excited about.

I'm not really a fan of fiction books though. I still haven't read Lord of the Rings and probably never will. The movies were awesome though haha