Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anatomy of a crap pup [ partially ]
I got myseelf an eighty dollar start copy a while back. Plays well and is in tune. The pups though are crap.

They're single coils with inductors and a bar magnet on the bottom.
The coils are a little lean.[ I've already removed the inductors , magnet and outside tape. ]
[Image: attachment.php?aid=397]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=398]
The problem here is replacing them with something decent would cost almost as much as the guitar or more and that doesn't seem good sense.

Next I dug out an Ephi HB coil that I'd fitted with pole magnets. The screw holes for affixing it to a base plate lined up with holes on the single coil bobbin.
I hacksawed about two thirds of SC bobbin off and affixed the Ephi coil to the bobbin base. I then added a few new wires and installed it. It works fine and so much better than the crap pup. The crap pups are thin and have poor volume. No surprise looking at the half coil on the bobbin.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=399]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=400]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=401]
Yes the Ephi bobbin is bent. Fucked if I know how that happened.
On the small coil front, these are available from the folks at Bill 'N Becky...

Heard good reviews on them.

[Image: ddce0d3d0b169381f97ece44a4c11a84.jpg]
Listless Vessels!
Bar magnets; no thanks. Not in a single coil anyway. The pole magnets make the Ephi coil usable. In a humbucker with a bar magnet they suck like Ephi pups do.

Those do look interesting though. Are they coil tapped or what ? Why the three wires.

Funny how close it is in form to my hack job.:evil:
I'm guessing the extra wire is a ground.

Actually dug around a little after posting. There's some clips and they sound really good.

Also saw there is an Alnico version just introduced. I'm more interested now, but sounds like the original one might be the best.

Only thing that keeps me back is Bill's stuff has tended to be bright, bright, bright! That being said, he produced the most authentic sounding Stack pickup I've tried (L200). He also produced the least authentic sounding one I've tried too (All IMO).
Listless Vessels!
You better not fuck my bkp rare goodness!

I am building up to sending it. I almost did it yesterday.
(01-22-2015, 04:09 PM)kinnikuman Wrote: You better not fuck my bkp rare goodness!

I am building up to sending it. I almost did it yesterday.
Never fear, I will treat it with great reverence and care.Evil
[Image: attachment.php?aid=409].
Is this the aldi special?

Looks fine to me.
Yes.
(01-29-2015, 05:16 AM)GoldenVulture Wrote: Yes.

I just finished another soldering job. Took me fuckig ages to do it all. I will test it tomorrow and save the disappointment until then. :toast: I am happy its a bit neater than last time.