Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you give your dog?
I have a 2 year old pit bull, and I was told by the vet that most dogs by age 3 have gingivitis. Has anyone tried out Bright Bites treats for their dogs? It's a treat that takes the place of brushing your dogs teeth, and you're supposed to give it to them after they eat.
Be careful. I saw a Dateline MSNBC or 60 minutes special that had some kind of similar product that was green (I think they might have looked like toothbrushes and they were mint) that was screwing up dogs because the shit wouldn't digest and it was clogging up dogs' digestive systems and either making them sick or killing them. Our little Cairn Terrier is 7 years old and I recently took her to the vet and the vet showed me her teeth by pulling her lips up and away from her teeth and they were NASTY! My dog's teeth were all friggin' brown and shit. So I certianly believe that they get gingivitus.
A long time ago my daddy said, "Son, always cut away from yourself with a knife, treat every firearm as though it's loaded and never update your BIOS during a lightning storm".
pervertfreak Wrote:Be careful. I saw a Dateline MSNBC or 60 minutes special that had some kind of similar product that was green

Yeah, those things are called Greenies, avoid them at all costs.

I try to brush my dog's teeth a couple of times a week, she doesn't mind it anymore. I have to make a big deal out of it and praise her, but she likes it. Nothing really takes the place of brushing, but rawhides and similar chewing toys do help. She's twelve and her teeth are still pretty good.
Hey Perv, our little Cairn terrier cross Penny is also 7. The vet showed me tartar on her back teeth and suggested I give her rawhide bones (which she ignores). She likes Dentabones but they are very expensive and she chews them up in about 30 sec. I give her a couple of MilkBones at bedtime.

She has a skin condition which is aggravated by food allergies, so we have to be careful what we give her. Right now she is on a bison dry dogfood called Just A Wee Bit, mixed with canned venison and salmon oil. (Yer typical Canuck canine diet, eh?)
Ooops, I crapped my pants
Speng Wrote:I try to brush my dog's teeth a couple of times a week

Yeah, but does she floss?
Ooops, I crapped my pants
Chocklit Wrote:She likes Dentabones but they are very expensive and she chews them up in about 30 sec.

I'm leary of Dentabones, I think they are unsafe too. I gave my dog one and she carried it around in her mouth for a half hour while she decided where to eat it...it singed off her whiskers.
pervertfreak Wrote:Be careful. I saw a Dateline MSNBC or 60 minutes special that had some kind of similar product that was green (I think they might have looked like toothbrushes and they were mint) that was screwing up dogs because the shit wouldn't digest and it was clogging up dogs' digestive systems and either making them sick or killing them. Our little Cairn Terrier is 7 years old and I recently took her to the vet and the vet showed me her teeth by pulling her lips up and away from her teeth and they were NASTY! My dog's teeth were all friggin' brown and shit. So I certianly believe that they get gingivitus.
No the Bright Bite treats are white, and they're star-shaped. I was reading their website, and they mention that it prevents bacterial build up in dogs' mouths which can be harmful to their heart and kidneys - I did not know that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why did God give us(humans) such burning sexual lust? alverson 4 4,524 04-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Securb
  Dog meat off the menu during Olympics Securb 4 4,943 07-31-2008, 06:02 AM
Last Post: Securb