Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NPD incoming
For the past month or so, I've been emailing brother Declan Larkin from Deacci about some custom pickups. Medium hot humbuckers voiced for clarity, articulation, while at the same time being muscular, and tremendously versatile - able to seamlessly go from clean to filthy without skipping a beat.

Declan and I threw some ideas around, he did a bunch of experimenting with different winds, different wire gauges and insulations, polepiece lengths and such. And I think we basically have a prototype finalized now. These are most likely going to replace the current Macha model in Declan's "Pure Power" series.

I just put in my order for a neck and bridge set for my Showmaster, as well as a solitary bridge for my Polaris.

Bridge is about 12.3k, neck is 9.1k. Different gauge wires on the slug/screw coils, different insulation types too. Short fillister screws I believe. And A5 magnets.

I am excited. These are my first totally custom pickups, ever! I'mma have to do a review when I get them in and installed.
Woah, that sounds awesome. Congrats Ryan.

He went through a bunch of different prototypes to help you design your dream pickup? That's totally rad.
(05-06-2015, 11:27 AM)youngthrasher9 Wrote: If it came down to it, I might suck dick for my family.

Yeah originally I just wanted a bridge pickup. We started with the original Macha model, which was just a hair under 12k, A8, dual slug coils. Declan doesn't like it so much because to him it just sounds like your average high output pickup (too much compression, lack of treble clarity, congested, etc).

And then he played around with the winds and the types of wires, as well as polepiece lengths. Couple revisions later, he was really happy with the result. He said it was the first (bridge) pickup he's ever wound above 9k that he's actually really liked. After that he wound up a neck model to match.

So next up I get to try em out and see if I like 'em, and then back/forth with the revisions if necessary.

I'm really stoked. I guess the things I wanted outta this set were pretty well in line with what Declan wanted from a high output pickup he could put the Deacci name on. And with any luck, this could be the beginning of some increased business for him as well, since he's really happy with the result.
Yeah he mentioned he was working with you on a high output thingy too. Didn't say anything about the specs though.
Like I said I'll do a review when I get 'em and compare them to some dimazio and SD models I've had experience with.

I wanted these to be the ultimate player's pickup. Something blazingly expressive and versatile that presents to the amp a sound that is clear, defined, tight, and still thick and meaty in the midrange, without being stupidly high output.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NPD lreese 0 1,910 11-05-2016, 11:12 AM
Last Post: lreese
  Incoming SD lreese 5 6,507 08-01-2016, 01:52 PM
  Incoming - USA Dean Baby Z Agileguy 31 28,703 07-05-2016, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Oinkus
  Incoming NPD lreese 5 5,924 06-06-2016, 06:23 AM
Last Post: Securb
  NPD lreese 5 5,107 05-07-2016, 07:04 AM
  Incoming NPD Oinkus 20 21,459 04-25-2016, 06:52 AM
Last Post: Securb
  NAD incoming sexy Fender Securb 18 18,387 03-23-2016, 11:44 AM
  Fuzz incoming Agileguy 5 6,308 02-12-2016, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Agileguy
  NPD and a little sneak peek at my new Warmoth Snake Aces 22 21,133 08-01-2015, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Snake Aces
  NPD^3 CTN 6 8,294 06-15-2015, 04:13 PM
Last Post: CTN