Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viewing articles at the homepage on mobile.
I was just scrolling through some of the articles on the iPad, (this also happens on my phone) and every three or four times it redirects me to the App Store to install 'The Wizard of Oz' app.
You mean the "Apple App Store " ?
(03-09-2015, 07:59 PM)GoldenVulture Wrote: You mean the "Apple App Store " ?

the official name of the Apple/iTunes app store is "App Store"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/App_Store_(iOS)

so he was correct in his original post.
From your link
Quote:After the success of Apple's App Store and the launch of similar services by its competitors, the term "app store" has been adopted to refer to any similar service for mobile devices.[11][12][13][14] However, Apple applied for a U.S. trademark on the term App Store in 2008[15][16] which was tentatively approved in 2011.[17] Later, in June 2011, U.S. District Judge Phyllis Hamilton, who was presiding over Apple's case against Amazon, said she would "probably" deny Apple's motion that seeks to bar the Web retailer from using the "App Store" name.[18][19][20] Later on July 6, Apple was denied preliminary injunction against Amazon's Appstore by a federal judge.[21]

The term app has become a popular buzzword; in January 2011, app was awarded the honor of being 2010's "Word of the Year" by the American Dialect Society.[22] Apple does not hold a trademark on, or claim exclusive rights to the term app, which has been used as shorthand for "application" since at least the mid-1990s[23] and in product names since at least 2002, for example Google Apps (introduced in 2006).
(03-11-2015, 05:48 AM)GoldenVulture Wrote: From your link

That's all well and good, but it doesn't change the name of Apple's app store... something doesn't have to be trademarked to have a name. I never said it was patented or whatever, just that their official name is, in fact, "App Store."

p.s. I feel like a total douche for posting both of these comments.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Okay, the side bar articles on the Homepage johnjohn 23 25,934 02-01-2015, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnjohn