Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cryogenically treated tubes
What's the deal? Any of you try em? Wondering if it's legit or snake oil.

I just pulled the trigger on some cryogenically treated JJ el84s for my tubemeister in the hope of being able to potentially like the amp again and also to have my amp in good shape for the summer of much jamming.

Supposedly the cryo treatment gives the tubes a larger soundstage, better definition, bigger, tighter bass, punchier mids, soaring highs, and just more musicality overall, from what I gather. That in addition to lowering the noise floor, reducing microphonics and making all the components last longer and stand up to more punishment.

If this turns out well I might just stick to cryo power tubes forever
Sounds to good to be true, but IDK.
No clue but my TM 18 sounds way better with the JJs then the stock chinese tubes.People really like it , ask Brandon and Devin.
Do as thou wilt . Aleister Crowley
[-] The following 1 user Likes Oinkus's post:

Ehhh I'm all set for 12ax7's. I've tube rolled ad nauseum in this amp and finally settled on a Tung Sol in v1 and a Ruby Chinese hg+ for v2. I was actually so!ewhat interested in the TAD el84-str but read a few too many reviews saying they mush out at high volume. Not good news for if I want to play gigs
(05-07-2015, 06:53 AM)darthphineas Wrote: I have used JJs for years and keep them on-hand.

but...did you check out my review of Tube Amp Doctor:  https://www.facebook.com/darthphineas/po...1822090136

there are dozens of reviews there.  I didn't see the need to self-promote, as the link is in my sig.

+1 on TADs.  I have an original Mullard 10M as my holy grail comparison tube and a TAD that came in a 12AX7 sampler set is the only one I've ever heard that sounded identical.

Everyone should be armed ...until nobody has guns.
I have some JJ EL34s in my M-1000 and they seem ok. They've been in there since I had the thing modded by FJA 6 or 7 years ago, and most of that's been burning through a Weber Mass 100 attenuator. They're still going strong. All my 12ax7s are old RCA blackplates except V1, which is a Matsushita (supposedly a Mullard clone). I never could get into old power tubes-not enough $ for something that's effectively consumable and nearly irreplaceable.

I don't know about the cryo thing. It does sould a little oily and snakey...
Maybe we should build some Cryo pickups. Do you think that would attract the female crowd?
(05-08-2015, 09:07 AM)C.C.D. Wrote: Maybe we should build some Cryo pickups. Do you think that would attract the female crowd?

You tell us... ;)
Listless Vessels!
(05-08-2015, 09:07 AM)C.C.D. Wrote: Maybe we should build some Cryo pickups. Do you think that would attract the female crowd?

You already did. Way to not know your own products :jerkoff:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/2011product...ickups.php
Maybe she forgot them because there's no room in her fanny pack alongside all the broken souls and testicles she's stolen.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  6N2P-EV Preamp tubes. karpathion 1 3,044 05-25-2016, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Oinkus