Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cryogenically treated tubes
(05-08-2015, 12:04 PM)Agileguy Wrote: I personally wouldn't have tried them, but I've always been curious. I'm looking forward to your report.

On a separate note, I always lol a little when people ask for opinions on something they already bought. I'm not knocking you, I've done it too, it's just kind of funny.
I know, i find it kinda funny too. I was just wondering if anyone could corroborate some of the claims i'd been reading about. Even if not, i'd still be interested to hear the difference for myself. Plus it brings a slightly new tonal dimension to the same old tubes.
I don't think the concept is that new. I know my Dad had some gun barrels cryo-treated with hopes of improved accuracy at least a decade ago. Don't remember hearing that it made a big impact.
It doesn't seem to make humans work any better.
Bought some cryo treated strings a few years ago just because they were cheap , was a total bust they sucked all around.
Do as thou wilt . Aleister Crowley
I believe in the differences of cabling (which people often argue doesn't make any audible difference), but I've never thought that exposing something brittle like glass to extreme temperatures is a good idea. I might be misunderstanding things here, but I believe the general concept something is "cryogenically freezing the tubes lines up the electrons for better electrical conductance"? If it was for that purpose alone, the freezing process is going to be negated once the tube warms up when in use anyhow. Several manufacturers like Callaham believe in the hardening of metals due to cryo treatment and I'm inclined to believe in it more there, but I haven't heard of one person saying that the reason why their tubes failed was because of the metal softening.

My concern is that it seems like all it's really going to do is wear out your tubes faster and stress the manufacturing (and we all know modern tubes aren't built as well as older ones). I'd love to be wrong though and I'm looking forward to hearing more about them if there is something positive to gain from the treatment
(05-20-2015, 04:38 AM)That90sGuy Wrote: I believe in the differences of cabling (which people often argue doesn't make any audible difference), but I've never thought that exposing something brittle like glass to extreme temperatures is a good idea. I might be misunderstanding things here, but I believe the general concept something is "cryogenically freezing the tubes lines up the electrons for better electrical conductance"? If it was for that purpose alone, the freezing process is going to be negated once the tube warms up when in use anyhow. Several manufacturers like Callaham believe in the hardening of metals due to cryo treatment and I'm inclined to believe in it more there, but I haven't heard of one person saying that the reason why their tubes failed was because of the metal softening.

My concern is that it seems like all it's really going to do is wear out your tubes faster and stress the manufacturing (and we all know modern tubes aren't built as well as older ones). I'd love to be wrong though and I'm looking forward to hearing more about them if there is something positive to gain from the treatment
The weird thing is that the cryo treatment is supposed to alleviate a lot of those problems you mention. I'm not sure about the process at other retailers but the guy i got mine from (Ron Sheldon at Cryoset) mentions on his site that they gradually bring the temperature down to -300 F over 24 hrs, hold it there for i think 24 or 48 hrs and then gradually bring it back up to room temp. That would prevent sudden temperature changes that would cause the glass to shatter.

From what i gathered the treatment is as much mechanical improvement as it is electrical and the strengthening of all the components supposedly does not change as a result of normal use.
I need preamp tubes for the Fender what are we talking about here in cost difference?
seems like a bit more of an upcharge for preamp tubes.

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/index.php...e60c4940b9

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  6N2P-EV Preamp tubes. karpathion 1 3,043 05-25-2016, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Oinkus