Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need some inspiration/ideas
I've been eating terribly for the past couple months mostly due to working my ass off and eating half my meals at work, skipping half the other half and only occasionally cooking for myself or ordering pizza.

It sucks i know.

Today on my way back home i stopped at the supermarket and for the life of me i could not have been bothered one iota to think of any interesting things to cook.

I need good suggestions for non-wintery foods that don't involve grilling.
I like to cook lightly in the summer. Things like vegetable fried rice mixed with a good sauce usually hit the spot. I like to use corn, green beans, peas, onions, carrots and mushrooms. In one pot I boil all the vegetables along with seasonings like ginger, curry, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, basil and some paprika until the veggies absorb almost all the flavors and water. In another pot I boil the rice until it is ready.

Then I add some olive oil (or coconut oil if I have some some) to the veggies pot and mix in the rice after draining the excess water from the rice. Turn the temp to medium-high and fry it for a few minutes. Prepare a good sauce by whisking 3 tablespoons of soy sauce with 2 tablespoons of tahini and 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Very delicious and pretty easy to make.

For another summer food/treat I like to blend 2-3 bananas with a cup of strawberries together. I usually add a shot of water in it too. Blend until it's smooth as hell and freeze it for a nice frozen and completely healthy snack.
soy sauce and tahini? I feel like there's approximately 1.4 billion people somewhere in the world going "WTF?!?!?!"

Also, isn't it kinda bad to effectively consume 3 bananas in one sitting?

As far as the fried rice thing goes though, earlier today I was thinking of just using up some of the veggies in my fridge when i have some time tomorrow evening and making some sort of epic bacon and veggie risotto. Perhaps with a fried egg on top for fun.
(05-09-2015, 10:48 PM)CTN Wrote: soy sauce and tahini? I feel like there's approximately 1.4 billion people somewhere in the world going "WTF?!?!?!"

As far as the fried rice thing goes though, earlier today I was thinking of just using up some of the veggies in my fridge when i have some time tomorrow evening and making some sort of epic bacon and veggie risotto. Perhaps with a fried egg on top for fun.
Soy and Tahini , Hmmm. They are both salty.
Summer or winter [ not as much ] I throw a couple of bannanas into the blender with one or more fruits. Anything from strawberries, peaches, nectarines, kiwi fruit. I then add Apple juice [ real, not concentrate and water ] and blend it all up. Bottle it and put it in the freezer till it's just icing up. Remove it and shake and pour.
(05-09-2015, 10:48 PM)CTN Wrote: soy sauce and tahini? I feel like there's approximately 1.4 billion people somewhere in the world going "WTF?!?!?!"

No, it's not bad at all to consume 3 bananas or even more in one sitting! It's quite healthy actually.
(05-09-2015, 11:09 PM)GoldenVulture Wrote: Soy and Tahini , Hmmm. They are both salty.
Summer or winter [ not as much ] I throw a couple of bannanas into the blender with one or more fruits. Anything from strawberries, peaches, nectarines, kiwi fruit. I then add Apple juice [ real, not concentrate and water ] and blend it all up. Bottle it and put it in the freezer till it's just icing up. Remove it and shake and pour.

Plain tahini is not salty at all. It is just roasted sesame seeds and oil made into a butter. No salt added. 
(05-10-2015, 12:27 AM)Snake Aces Wrote: Plain tahini is not salty at all. It is just roasted sesame seeds and oil made into a butter. No salt added. 

It has other salts, two of your main metabolizing salts which are good for you. If Tahini doesn't taste salty to you you must be eating some with added sugar or your taste buds aren't working.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=455]
Risotto is cooking away. I just used everything i had in the fridge. Shallots, garlic, red and orange peppers, green chillies, mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, potatoes and a fuckton of bacon.

And yes, i know, all of Italy is crying foul right now.

[Image: d7e843c6fbf6c600f36e7a9cff965cb7.jpg]
What did you use for the liquid?
I totally cheated and used bovril veggie broth