Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Positive ground fuzz - edufy me
(05-15-2015, 06:12 PM)CTN Wrote: You do know he's a huge influence on my playing, right?

I've already lined his pockets enough. A little more ain't gon' hurt. And besides, I get a sweet fuzz out of it.

I'm just giving you shit.

I don't care for him, but I'm not going to say that you can't like him.
Trust me, I'm a medical professional. 
Seriously, just build yourself a voltage converter into a hammond box of this size and stick it under your board:

[Image: IMGP4300.jpg]

Then you can use most any fuzz.
(05-06-2015, 11:27 AM)youngthrasher9 Wrote: If it came down to it, I might suck dick for my family.

(05-15-2015, 05:25 PM)CTN Wrote: Dunlop tech support...said the Bonamassa mini fuzz face runs off a negative tip 9V supply..

Of course it does. Positive ground doesn't mean the jack is flipped around. You can wire either up to the pin, and either to the sleeve. It's the fact that the chassis, and therefore the ground/shield of the cable shares "positive" 9v. That means in a daisy chain you'll have shorted 9v to ground once you hook up the rest of your pedals. 

I should add I "helped design" (you can't really say you designed old fuzz clones) the new 65 Amps Colour Face and Colour Bender pedals. Both are PNP positive ground circuits. I even talked to the head engineer Bob at Dunlop just to hash out what power supplies they made that are compatible/incompatible. Even if you used a DC brick with ONLY positive ground pedals, it would work but if both chassis touched, or they were touching a metal pedalboard, it would short out.
Think it only works on batteries guys?
Do as thou wilt . Aleister Crowley
(05-15-2015, 06:36 PM)Agileguy Wrote: Seriously, just build yourself a voltage converter into a hammond box of this size and stick it under your board:

[url=http://s15.photobucket.com/user/Used666_/media/IMGP4300.jpg.html][/url]

Then you can use most any fuzz.

Got a schematic?

(05-15-2015, 06:40 PM)frankfalbo Wrote: Of course it does. Positive ground doesn't mean the jack is flipped around. You can wire either up to the pin, and either to the sleeve. It's the fact that the chassis, and therefore the ground/shield of the cable shares "positive" 9v. That means in a daisy chain you'll have shorted 9v to ground once you hook up the rest of your pedals. 

I should add I "helped design" (you can't really say you designed old fuzz clones) the new 65 Amps Colour Face and Colour Bender pedals. Both are PNP positive ground circuits. I even talked to the head engineer Bob at Dunlop just to hash out what power supplies they made that are compatible/incompatible. Even if you used a DC brick with ONLY positive ground pedals, it would work but if both chassis touched, or they were touching a metal pedalboard, it would short out.

hm. But a voltage converter like Jordan posted, or for example a polarity conversion cable (like the ones that come with most power supplies these days) would solve it......?

(05-15-2015, 06:41 PM)Oinkus Wrote: Think it only works on batteries guys?

The large version does. The mini version has a power jack.
Oddly enough, the Drone Station is PNP and CAN be daisy chained just fine.

...just throwing that out there.
Devin, you've got a MJM london, right? Can that be daisy chained?
(05-06-2015, 11:27 AM)youngthrasher9 Wrote: If it came down to it, I might suck dick for my family.

A foxey fuzz. And I haven't had a problem with it...so far.
i have a workaround for this confusion.

Aside from the literature saying that the mini fuzz faces use an AC jack, and in addition to the transistors being PNP but using a normal polarity power jack (WTF?!?!?!)... we can at least be assured that there is only one possible way to place a 9V DC battery in the pedal.

So I'm just going to use the power jack->9V battery clip that came with my old Godlyke Power-All supply. It'll connect to the daisy chain at one end, and the battery clip at the other. Perfect. don't need to worry about grounds or anything. I hope.
Hmm, that could work.

Frank?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuzz incoming Agileguy 5 6,170 02-12-2016, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Agileguy
  The Official TMR Fuzz Thread Agileguy 34 31,994 06-26-2015, 02:09 AM
Last Post: frankfalbo