Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Computer Incoming
(06-16-2015, 01:46 PM)Agileguy Wrote: Yeah, it'll definitely be way faster than the POS I'm using now. That's why I'm thinking of waiting on the solid state boot drive, but prices are pretty low right now.

Granted, I don't have the computer yet so I don't know if this particular drive will work with it (I'm not very knowledgeable about computers) but if this fits, it seems like a good deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820147372

Any tips/suggestions on solid state drives? I see that I can spend a few hundred on a 250GB drive. Obviously (I hope) I'd be getting better performance, but would something around $100 be good enough?

Although SSD drives are small the problem still lingers as to whether the case and motherboard have the appropriate mounting brackets/space as well as the open connection on the motherboard. I would have to do some research with that PC to try to find out if anybody else has tried to add one to that Alienware PC before. 

It can be kind of a pain in the ass to go through and re-install windows or whatever OS you will be using on a new drive later. So, it would be a good idea to make this decision now IMO.
(06-16-2015, 01:06 AM)Agileguy Wrote: Just realized that the link I posted was bogus. Here are the specs on the one I ordered:

Processor 2 GHz Intel Core i5
RAM 8 GB DDR3
Memory Speed 1600 MHz
Hard Drive 1000 GB SATA
Graphics Coprocessor Custom Nvidia Maxwell GTX CPU
Graphics Card Ram Size 2 MB
Wireless Type 802.11bgn
Number of USB 2.0 Ports 2
Number of USB 3.0 Ports 2

It supports 1080p and 4k video. I think I may at some point upgrade to a smaller solid state drive for boot speed and an external for memory (I'm assuming there's only space in there for one drive).

It seems a little slow compared to contemporary speeds which are in the 3gigaHz and up range.
4K would be good. Do you have a 4K capable monitor ?
Lol nope, just 1080p

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
(05-06-2015, 11:27 AM)youngthrasher9 Wrote: If it came down to it, I might suck dick for my family.