Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friday, Jordan.
He knows.
[-] The following 1 user Likes misterwhizzy's post:

I knows.

My copy is coming on Saturday. I'm going to wait until then so I can spin it on wax. I couldn't be more excited. I haven't listened to anything besides the first single so that it's as fresh as possible.
(05-06-2015, 11:27 AM)youngthrasher9 Wrote: If it came down to it, I might suck dick for my family.

Whatcha talkin' about Willis?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Listless Vessels!
Oh yeah! I almost forgot.

The Rebecca Black followup single gets released tomorrow.  Everyone head to the record store! :toast:
Listless Vessels!
[-] The following 1 user Likes lreese's post:

Friday 2 - The Friday-ening
(05-06-2015, 11:27 AM)youngthrasher9 Wrote: If it came down to it, I might suck dick for my family.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Listless Vessels!
How much have you listened to it, Whiz? I'm on my 3rd or 4th spin now and it just keeps getting better. I want to absorb it more before I give a full opinion but my first observation was that it seems like they, whether consciously or not, got heavier than Y&G... but at the same time they didn't. There are definitely more crushing riffs per capita than the previous release, but it feels disingenuous to call this a metal album. But the riffs are clearly metal riffs! More than a few are straight out of old Baroness/Mastodon territory... but it's not metal.

Either way, it's a great fucking album IMO and I think in terms of scope it eclipses Blue... time will tell if it beats Red on that front. I don't think it can compare to Y&G in terms of scope just because of how varied the material there is, and also how much of it there is.

I've listened to it about four times, I think, since Friday.

The first time through, I wasn't blown away. But thinking you'll get the entirety of a Baroness album the first time through is for the uninitiated, not the fans. The second time was much more like I expected and hoped for.

Let's get this out of the way. A Baroness album is a complete experience. It's a ride, and you wonder how you got to where you are at some point in the journey. You miss your stop, but you don't care, because it ain't no Greyhound. It also isn't a rollercoaster, but it all goes together brilliantly, and there's a flow to the music that isn't defined by tracks or songs. The Blue album violates this a little bit, imposing somewhat more structure on the journey, but that, "Hey, how did I get here?" vibe that is characteristic of the band is certainly present on this album again.

I like the return to more heaviness. I hope John Baizley has figured out this is where his vocals belong. At the beginning of the band's career, there was too much of the screaming and what I felt like was trying to fit into the metal scene. Then the aggression and force was gone in the Yellow and Green albums. Purple really seems to be the right mix.

One thing that surprised me, and as a guitarist, I hate to say this about our mortal natural enemies, but the drumming was extremely strong, and it added a layer to the music that wasn't missing before but certainly never stood out. The personnel change worked in the band's favor here for sure, unfortunate though the circumstances forcing it were.

I've tried to avoid making this sound like I just dislike the Yellow and Green double album. I never got them, try as I might. The music was uninspiring, and like all of the lyrics, it didn't make any sense. It just seemed like experimentation for the sake of experimentation, and that's never good. I think they really got back on track with this album and gave me the Baroness experience I wanted.
I agree with all of that - except for yellow and green, I love them. Different strokes.

I did notice that the drums are particularly strong on this record. Now I just want to see them live even more.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

One more thing about Baroness being about the album. When I first listened to Chlorine and Wine several months ago, I thought, "Well, this is okay. Better than anything off the double album." I didn't have REALLY high hopes, but it was enough to keep me on the hook. But take it in the context of Purple as a whole, and it's damn near perfect. It's so much more than it is by itself. Really liking this record more every time I listen.