Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's Design A 2x12 Cabinet.
I almost punked out last night and ordered a cabinet. My 'ol lady talked me out of it. She said you guys would call me a bitch for months if I did, and I just can't stand the thought of being the next Iceman. Plus, the thread is already here. Can't stop now.

I picked up an 8' and a 4' piece of VF, premium select, 1x12" solid pine. That's only enough for the top, bottom, and 2 sides. That was $60 alone, and I still have no clue what to do about the rear panel and baffle yet. I'm hoping I have enough scrap in my building for bracing, but that's not really a big deal. I can use almost anything for that.

If the rain is going to hold out today, I'm going to try to get the main shell cut, glued, and screwed today.

Best pieces I could find at Lowes.

[img]<a href=[/img][Image: 12hnt0.jpg]" />
I hear Mexico is nice this time of year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes karpathion's post:

Awesome man! I had no idea decent pine was so expensive! Still though, if you're going to build a cab, why not do it right?

I would love to be able to buy a pine cab in the $250 to $300 range myself but if I could build one for that I'd be pretty happy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snake Aces's post:

That ought to make a good cab.
Listless Vessels!
[-] The following 1 user Likes lreese's post:

(04-14-2016, 08:43 AM)Snake Aces Wrote: Awesome man! I had no idea decent pine was so expensive! Still though, if you're going to build a cab, why not do it right?

I would love to be able to buy a pine cab in the $250 to $300 range myself but if I could build one for that I'd be pretty happy.

I was hoping to keep this one at around $100-125, but I don't think that is going to happen. My estimate now for a complete cabinet is about $160-170. That's still not bad, but those Siesmic cabs on ebay $150-180. Nowhere near the quality this one will be, but they would still work.

(04-14-2016, 08:55 AM)karpathion Wrote: I was hoping to keep this one at around $100-125, but I don't think that is going to happen. My estimate now for a complete cabinet is about $160-170. That's still not bad, but those Siesmic cabs on ebay $150-180. Nowhere near the quality this one will be, but they would still work.

$160 is not bad, yeah those Seismic cabs aren't too shabby at $180 or under but there is just no comparison between the two. I started looking at tolex and the speakers I want to load in one would be $200 for the pair, so that's $230 of my budget right there. 

I'm looking forward to seeing this project come together and hopefully it will inspire me to get started on my own 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snake Aces's post:

Does anyone know what roundover bit size is use to route around the cabinet edges? I'm guessing 3/8" or 1/2" would be fine. I don't have a router table, so I have to do it by hand.
(04-14-2016, 09:44 AM)karpathion Wrote: Does anyone know what roundover bit size is use to route around the cabinet edges? I'm guessing  3/8" or 1/2" would be fine. I don't have a router table, so I have to do it by hand.

Quote: I am a carpenter by trade.

:wwe:
(04-14-2016, 10:55 AM)GoldenVulture Wrote: :wwe:

Lol! Yeah, that does sound bad, huh? I'm just not sure what the guitar cabinet industry uses. They look like 3/4" from the pictures on the net. 1/2" should work fine. Or, I could put a fancy coffe table edge, or a 3-4 level step down. Let me find my box of bits!

Damn, these are the only roundover bits in my box. I'll just have to lower that 3/8" bit to avoid that ledge. There is always a palm sander later anyways.

[img]<a href=[/img][Image: 12i08g.jpg]" />

They do sell cheap cabs on ebay and how could it matter what we think about you ? Looks like it is a much larger bit looking at the various cabs I can see especially the Marshall being the largest 3/4ish or more.
Do as thou wilt . Aleister Crowley
[-] The following 1 user Likes Oinkus's post:

I don't know how much detail you guys want on the build process, but I've taken pictures of every step if you want them, and a commentary.

Made one small change to the dimensions again. I 31" x 11.5" x 23.5. Wanted to get just a bit closer to that exact 1936 inside airspace. I

I took my sweet time to make sure I got the cuts right. Everything lines up perfectly. All I could do is cut the walls today. I can't find my clamps. my brother may have borrowed them and didn't bring them back. So, I have to go to Harbor Freight later and pick up a cheap set.

The second pic is e everything just standing on it's side for a mock up. 

[img]<a href=[/img][Image: 12i9n9.jpg]" />

[img]<a href=[/img][Image: 12i9r3.jpg]" />
[-] The following 2 users Like karpathion's post:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Cabinet Day Jolly 3 4,144 05-15-2015, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Oinkus