Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The becoming non-complacent in your playing thread.
Now that I have seemingly returned to playing and recording all hardcore again, I have found my playing lacking. It's like I'm still a slave to the same old shit I've been playing forever, although my taste buds have obviously changed.

Time to do something about that, and I challenge everyone here to do it.

Learn a whole song, front to back, in a style that seems out of reach to you. Leads and solos included.

I'm choosing Van Halen, Hot For Teacher. I've always stayed away from Eddie V. The overwhelming amount of shit he can slam into one song, is humbling. It always scared me. Made feel like less of a player if I couldn't do it.

Well, I say to hell with that. I got this! I welcome the challenge, and I should learn a lot from it. Not stopping until I get it all right either. No matter how many decades it takes...
I hear Mexico is nice this time of year.
After not playing for around 8 months last year I am working on my hand strength as well as trying to get things back under my fingers I once knew. Funny how when you revisit something you thought you had a good grip on and actually listen , how far away from having it down you were. Another thing I am doing is playing an acoustic instead of an electric just to work harder and have nothing to cover things up. The song I am supposed to learn is Ain't Gonna Hurt Nobody by Brick so far out of my wheelhouse I can't even see it without binoculars.
Do as thou wilt . Aleister Crowley
[-] The following 1 user Likes Oinkus's post:

If you really want to improve your playing, record yourself. And then listen to it.
Someone should put that in their signature…
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dr. Vegetable's post:

That's too intimidating.
Because I said so. 
(03-13-2016, 06:11 PM)Dr. Vegetable Wrote: If you really want to improve your playing, record yourself.  And then listen to it.

I record all the time. Have about 100 projects in FL Studio. I'm talking about learning new styles. New things to do that you have never done before. Learning new tricks to put in your bag.

Hell, if I can get Hot For Teacher down, I'm doing Beethoven's, Twilight Sonata, next. I've always wanted to know how to play that beautiful piece of music. I've been playing for over 20 years. I should be able to, and know how to play it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes karpathion's post:

Recording is not for hacks like me even though I have the ability to do it. Trying to get the strings back under my fingers comfortably , arthritis and weakened hands combine to make it pretty painful. 100% chance that recording is a good thing , hearing yourself the way it ACTUALLY sounds can be an eye opener.
[-] The following 2 users Like Oinkus's post:

I get recording anxiety, or some shit. I can play something 100 times, damn near perfect, but as soon as I hit that record button, I just forget how to play.
Do the record everything for awhile and that will go away ,taping practice can help too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Oinkus's post:

What if I really don't want to know how bad it sounds:?:
Because I said so. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes LesStrat's post:

[Image: giphy-facebook_s.jpg]
Someone should put that in their signature…
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dr. Vegetable's post:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The GAS Thread Agileguy 28 30,623 09-25-2015, 06:56 AM
Last Post: Big Flannel
  Proteus build thread (uber-tele) CTN 145 132,306 07-16-2015, 07:58 PM
Last Post: kinnikuman
  The Official TMR Fuzz Thread Agileguy 34 32,001 06-26-2015, 02:09 AM
Last Post: frankfalbo
  For the first time in a while, I got carried away playing the guitar youngthrasher9 0 2,184 03-19-2015, 04:35 PM
Last Post: youngthrasher9