Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help for to make gas plees.
Past 6 months I've been gassing for a lot or random shit.

bought the east river drive, bought the showmaster, traded my squier for a blackstar and marshall cab, bought an eminence speaker for said cab, bought more magnets (not significant, but it counts as a GAS-related acquisition, tonehunting and all).

Well now that I have 3 amazing axes (the Jolly Roger, the Polaris and the Showmaster), I feel the need to revamp my '62RI strat.

It was my first electric guitar and it's unlikely that I'll ever sell it, so I was toying with the idea of converting it to an HH configuration/double fat strat, and also get a new neck for it as well, with a flatter radius and bigger frets, maybe a maple fretboard. It currently has a 7.25" radius, 6230 frets (which are friggin TINY if you've never played em), and a rosewood fretboard which I like but is rather soft on the attack). I'd need to hog out some wood for the humbucker pickup routes, which would be a nuisance but not totally out of the realm of possibility.

Haven't decided on the pickups yet, but I'm trying to figure out a look for the guitar and having a real hard time of it.

Here's the subject:

[Image: 2f88cab3-868e-4251-b4f3-0fddbd7e1291_zpsfc017635.jpg]

Not sure if I should stick with a black p/g or go back to a stock look of the white pickguard (which I was never really a fan of). Also the look of the pickups is another thing I can't really decide on. double black? zebra? nickel covers? double cream (would be a bitch to find ANY pickups aside from dimarzio in double cream but presumably some UK and overseas companies can do it...)

Need suggestions here people.
Boring. Think out side the box and do something different. More metal and less grandpas hank marvin strat.

I am thinking custom HS pickguard, Catch being the H part is a angled 7 string humbucker with the strings running through the 6 gaps between poles.
nah man, i want this to be a simple HH thing with a sorta classic vibe, not anything weird and crazy.

it's a goddamn 1962 reissue, not a time travelling 2057 reissue from a time when music doesn't exist and all we know of non-speech sounds is a stream of energetic sonic-imitation particles being blasted at our faces 24/7 .

Besides, I already have a strat and my Polaris with H/S config. No 7 string pickups but who the fuck cares anyway.
Keep a black pickguard and go double white on the pickups. It looks really good right now. And ebony neck in honor of Ferguson.
HELLO!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=285]
(11-25-2014, 10:27 PM)CTN Wrote: Here's the subject:

[Image: 2f88cab3-868e-4251-b4f3-0fddbd7e1291_zpsfc017635.jpg]

(11-26-2014, 12:36 AM)Securb Wrote: HELLO!

I have a '62 RI Blackie. I really didn't need to see this thread.

Everyone should be armed ...until nobody has guns.
I always go for ebony boards and compound radius , just my thing if I am going to replace a neck or fretboard. Going to start my Strat build today when it arrives but plan on the sss config already have a Super HM Strat. My friend put some medium jumbo SS frets on his Strat Deluxe and it has a huge upgrade in playability. As far as pickups you know you can get a good sound out of most any decent pup so pick something you really want to try that is different from everything else you have.
Do as thou wilt . Aleister Crowley
(11-26-2014, 07:30 AM)Oinkus Wrote: As far as pickups you know you can get a good sound out of most any decent pup so pick something you really want to try that is different from everything else you have.

So true, that is why I went with Fralins this time around. Glad I did they sound sick.
Just my discounted opinion...

Get a new body too and have a whole new guitar...
Listless Vessels!
(11-26-2014, 12:04 AM)misterwhizzy Wrote: Keep a black pickguard and go double white on the pickups. It looks really good right now. And ebony neck in honor of Ferguson.

ehh double white is almost as hard to get as double cream. ebony fretboard is a possibility. I just really like the tight/punchy sound of maple vs the tight/bright sound of ebony.

(11-26-2014, 12:36 AM)Securb Wrote: HELLO!

Hi Bruce.
I'm actually kinda tempted to go with nickel or chrome covers and reclaim that idea of putting together a sorta Jimmy Herring inspired HH strat. I might have to go with cream knobs/switchtips though, to match up nicer with the maple fretboard.

(11-26-2014, 07:30 AM)Oinkus Wrote: I always go for ebony boards and compound radius , just my thing if I am going to replace a neck or fretboard. Going to start my Strat build today when it arrives but plan on the sss config already have a Super HM Strat. My friend put some medium jumbo SS frets on his Strat Deluxe and it has a huge upgrade in playability. As far as pickups you know you can get a good sound out of most any decent pup so pick something you really want to try that is different from everything else you have.

Honestly, I prefer straight radius boards. I'll probably go with a 12", seeing as that's my favourite radius. Not too curved, not too flat. Great for chording and flat enough to shred. And yeah, I wanna do something interesting for the pickups, just not sure what yet.

(11-26-2014, 09:41 AM)darthphineas Wrote: Put a Floyd on there and get to wanking.

And not in the Ace definition of 'wanking'

hah! Unfortunately I can't stand floyds. :P

(11-26-2014, 11:43 AM)lreese Wrote: Just my discounted opinion...

Get a new body too and have a whole new guitar...

you're an evil, evil man, Lee. At the moment, the '62RI doesn't get much playing time because the necks on my other guitars are way more comfy. All of them have thinner profiles and flatter radii. The '62RI has a big fat C profile and a damn 7.25" radius. For a blues machine, it really sucks when doing big bends. The notes just die mid bend.

So getting a new neck (because it's way cheaper than re-radiusing and refretting and/or re-profiling the existing neck) is the obvious choice.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GAS Attack Brewing! lreese 10 11,129 03-12-2018, 10:02 AM
Last Post: lreese
  Analog GAS Dr. Vegetable 26 26,937 06-13-2016, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Securb
  Oh jeez - so much GAS Agileguy 9 10,502 11-22-2015, 01:00 PM
  The GAS Thread Agileguy 28 31,039 09-25-2015, 06:56 AM
Last Post: Big Flannel
  Ever had a sudden GAS attack? lreese 11 13,365 08-04-2014, 11:23 PM
Last Post: ExplorersRock
  Please to advise: What is humbucker to make my alder guitar sound like M1 Abrams tank CTN 12 15,225 06-01-2014, 12:08 PM