In recent years, Father’s Day has become a holiday dedicated as much to cliches as to dads. Items emblazoned with “World’s Greatest Dad” and “#1 Dad” flood the shelves of retailers and eventually the desks and closets of fathers across the country. Ties, cologne, golf balls, shaving kits – the list goes on and on of traditional gifts that are selected for mere convenience versus thought for the recipient. Chances are high that if you can’t remember what you got your dad last Father’s Day, neither can he. Was it the button down shirt or the neck massager?
Johnnie Walker Blue Label offers a way out of the empty rhetoric and irresponsible gifting of Father’s Day past. Gifting a bottle of this rare blended Scotch whisky speaks volumes of your opinion of him, and engraving a personalized message on a bottle makes it truly memorable. But finding the right words to be immortalized on an extraordinary bottle of Scotch whisky can be difficult.
This year, the makers of Johnnie Walker Blue Label asked a professional, a celebrated speechwriter, to help you create a gift for dad that he’ll never forget. Dan Gerstein, the founder of New York’s only world-class, full-service writing firm Gotham Ghostwriters, was tasked to come up with some tips on how to honor dads with a personalized message on a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label.
Here’s what Gerstein has to say about celebrating dad. While his advice was specifically developed to help craft the perfect message in 45 characters or less on a bottle of the rare blended Scotch whisky, his tips are as applicable to a toast, tribute or any fete aimed at celebrating dad. Whether you want to recognize an endearing trait or an inspirational accomplishment, or simply trying to say how much you care, put down the tie and pick up these pointers: commemorate
1) KEEP IT TIGHT: Remember, you only have 45 characters to say something memorable. So think of your words as being precious as the gift you are giving — to be poured with care. Don’t worry about signing your name — write the right thing, and he’ll know who the gift is from. Focus on maximizing your message.
2) MAKE IT PERSONAL: A special gift like Johnnie Walker Blue Label deserves a special inscription. So leave the generic father’s day wishes to the greeting card people and show your dad you are thinking of him. It doesn’t matter whether you are serious, goofy, cryptic, or simple – just try to be original. Share some inside insight, like referencing his favorite team or the golf trip you took to Scotland together. The surest way to connect with him is to connect the message to you.
3) KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE: Most dads love Blue Label. But their other tastes can vary widely, particularly when it comes to matters of the heart. What sounds like corn pone to one man can sing like a tone poem to another. So don’t feel the need to meet somebody else’s expectations. If your dad appreciates wordplay, have some pun. If he’s more sentimental, play those heartstrings. Either way, just speak his language.
4) SHOW YOURSELF: Since you are striving to send a special message, it’s great to aim high. Should you be inspired to say something profound or witty, go for it. But it’s more important for your engraving to ring true as you. So as you are speaking dad’s language, make sure it’s with your accent. Use words and phrasing that come naturally and sound familiar. There’s a straight line from authentic to “awwwww. . . .”
5) STAY CLASSY: Your inscription should be special to you and your dad. But bear in mind that he may want to share his Blue Label – along with your message – and put it on display in the den or at the office for all comers to see. It’s fine to have some fun. Just be sure, as you have done your whole life, to make him proud.
If you really want to make it memorable, Gerstein will be hosting office hours at the Johnnie Walker Blue Label engraving kiosk in New York’s Grand Central Terminal from 11am ET to 7pm ET on Thursday, June 14th. Walk-in consultations are available and appointments to speak with Gerstein on the phone may be booked ahead of time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Engraved bottles are available for purchase online at http://johnnie-walker-blue.1-877-spirits.com. Messages of up to 45 characters are available in multiple languages including specific phrases in Chinese, Korean and Hindi. Additionally, a temporary engraving kiosk will be set up in New York’s Grand Central Terminal from Monday, June 4 through Sunday, June 17th in the Graybar Passage at 43rd Street and Lexington Avenue. Consumers must be of legal drinking age to participate. The product is not for sale at the studio, but may be purchased at fine retailers around the city.
And remember, the best gift you can give your father is knowing that you are safe. Johnnie Walker reminds you to please drink responsibly.
ABOUT Johnnie Walker®:
Johnnie Walker® is the world’s leading Scotch whisky brand. Its portfolio features five award-winning whiskies—Red Label®, Black Label®, Green Label®, Gold Label®, and Blue Label® —imported and distributed in the United States by Diageo North America. At the 2007 San Francisco World Spirits Competition, The Johnnie Walker Blue Label Anniversary Pack, created to honor the 200th birthday of founder and original blender John Walker, was named “Best Blended Scotch,” and Green Label was named “Best Blended Malt Scotch.”
More than 4 bottles of Johnnie Walker are consumed every second, and more than 120 million bottles are sold every year in more than 200 countries. The product line covers a broad range of occasions for the whisky drinker from every day to special moments. The five premium brands represent a range of prices and tastes that share a remarkable 180-year history and a commitment to quality. Additional information about Johnnie Walker may be found at http://www.johnniewalker.com.
Diageo is the world’s leading premium drinks business with an outstanding collection of beverage alcohol brands across spirits, beer and wine. These brands include Johnnie Walker, Crown Royal, J&B, Windsor, Buchanan’s and Bushmills whiskies, Smirnoff, Ciroc and Ketel One vodkas, Baileys, Captain Morgan, Jose Cuervo, Tanqueray and Guinness.
Diageo is a global company, with its products sold in more than 180 countries around the world. The company is listed on both the New York Stock Exchange (DEO) and the London Stock Exchange (DGE). For more information about Diageo, its people, brands, and performance, visit us at Diageo.com. For our global resource that promotes responsible drinking through the sharing of best practice tools, information and initiatives, visit DRINKiQ.com.
Celebrating life, every day, everywhere.
SOURCE Johnnie Walker