Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you ever really been GASing for a guitar,
but not acted on it purely because you know that you didn't know any of the techniques that make that particular instrument so great?

I do this on occasion. Like, I always think about how great it would be to own a legit single coil equipped strat. Then I remember I am complete shit at blues, funk and pretty much everything else that sounds awesome on one.

Sure, I know a lick or two for all of that stuff, but nothing that warrants spending the money on a guitar that I'd play 10 minutes a week or some nonsense.
That's dumb.
Nope.

I just tell myself that its an excuse to learn something new. Sometimes it works.
Trust me, I'm a medical professional. 
You don't act on GAS - GAS acts on you.
Listless Vessels!
That's the thing though... My strat was H/S or HSS for so many years while I was obsessively into metal. Then I started getting into blues and got it back to SSS.

If you enjoy the genre, learn to play it. Get into the tones, sounds, techniques and learn it up! Besides, it'll make you a more versatile/adatabple musician when you learn new genres.

Getting a guitar suited to the genre is just a way to enable you to get deeper into it and learn it properly.
Yeah. My wallet hates my musical education and exploration.

Maybe this is the year I spring for a decent strat.

Or build one.

Now that I say that it sounds awesome.
With my Strat having HSH and a 25" scale you would think it doesn't do traditional Strat sounds at all.Wired series/split/parallel with a blend pot it goes from a close LP sound to a good bright single coil. Neither are exactly perfect but they are all good sounds.Might be the Tom Anderson pups helping a lot also? The thing about guitars , you have to sit around and play with them for awhile sometimes. It isn't always pick it up and instant bonding to an instrument.Random stupidity...
Do as thou wilt . Aleister Crowley
I've got a couple of them, but never installed them...

Bill Lawrence's Q-Filter might be an option.

Tom's pickups are great, though. I'd like to have a set of his singles (even a whole guitar). Have a HN1-, HN1+ and HN2 in the box. (its the one with the 3/16" magnets.)

I'm not that old, but when I started playing, modding guitars was not really an option. That came into being around '83 or '84 for me.

They're HF's, not HN's.
Listless Vessels!
You should be using those Andersons geez , reminds me sort of a little the crazy guy bought like 20 Anderson guitars and has them in various stages of pieces and parts. I sorted through a box of his and should have taken it had 6 pups and various pots and crap , no idea it was worth a fortune at the time. I have no idea what these are but I do have a single in the middle and I know it is the "blue" or lower/vintage output.Pretty sure I have all three of those pups in my 2 Anderson-equipped guitars for some reason? Install those pups ! You will be happy , I have played dozens of TA guitars and I never heard a pup I didn't like.Had no clue you could do things to guitars (besides destroy them) for the first 20 or so years I played too?
Do as thou wilt . Aleister Crowley

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Axe Premier Guitar Reader Guitar of the month Oinkus 13 13,304 06-22-2020, 05:50 AM
Last Post: Oinkus
  DBZ Diamond - GASing again Securb 3 4,446 06-24-2017, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Oinkus
  2 Guitar Cases Project treyhaislip 0 1,864 03-20-2017, 10:04 AM
Last Post: treyhaislip
  "Pedal Steel Guitar" Tone treyhaislip 10 11,530 03-09-2017, 10:06 AM
Last Post: treyhaislip
  Already broke a string on my brand new guitar Agileguy 10 12,328 04-10-2016, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Dr. Vegetable
  I need to stop going into Guitar Center when I'm broke Agileguy 2 4,063 01-10-2016, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Agileguy
  Help me decide on a neck for this guitar Snake Aces 24 25,537 07-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Last Post: kinnikuman
  New guitar, new forum JB From Hell 18 18,514 04-05-2015, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Agileguy
  For the first time in a while, I got carried away playing the guitar youngthrasher9 0 2,231 03-19-2015, 04:35 PM
Last Post: youngthrasher9
  So, yeah, I bought a guitar. FORMULA73 15 17,312 03-07-2015, 07:22 PM
Last Post: FORMULA73