Monday saw some more activity on the free agent market than the previous two days combined. Still, not much has really been going on since those few day 1 and day 2 splashes. There are a few big names left out there, such as Brian Westbrook and LaDainian Tomlinson, but at this point, all they appear to be are names. They both appear to be shells of their former Pro Bowl selves.
It was the Pittsburgh Steelers who took part in most of the action yesterday, signing four new players to the roster, including former Steeler and fan-favorite WR Antwaan Randle El. Randle El hit the free agent market in 2006 and signed a fat contract with the Washington Redskins. Since then he’s only tallied 8 receiving touchdowns in four full seasons. The Steelers also re-signed one of their own, veteran Safety, Ryan Clark.
The Detroit Lions made a handful of moves also, and made a few big signings early… as they should be doing. When you are 2-30 over the past two season, you need some help. Still, there are critics out there saying that they are still hurting themselves by grossly overpaying for marginal talent like WR Nate Burleson. Yesterday, Detroit traded a 2010 5th rounder for cornerback Chris Houston, signed free agents Jonathan Wade (CB) and Brian Clarke (WR) while releasing defensive end Dewayne White.
Other moves made on Day 4 of the 2010 NFL Free Agency season were:
– Atlanta Falcons traded Chris Houston CB to Detroit for 5th-round draft pick in 2010 and re-signed Joe Zelenka TE.
– Buffalo Bills signed/unrestricted free agent Cornell Green T to a Three-year contract
– Carolina Panthers cut Brad Hoover RB and Signed/unrestricted free agent WR Wallace Wright
– Cincinnati Bengals Re-signed/unrestricted free agent DT Tank Johnson
– Detroit Lions Traded CB Chris Houston to Detroit For 5th-round draft pick in 2010, Signed/unrestricted free agent CB Jonathan Wade, WR Brian Clark and cut DE Dewayne White
– Indianapolis Colts cut G Ryan Lilja
– Kansas City Chiefs Re-signed/unrestricted free agent WR Chris Chambers to a Three-year contract
– New York Jets Re-signed/unrestricted free agent TE Ben Hartsock
– Oakland Raiders cut WR Javon Walker
– Philadelphia Eagles traded WR Reggie Brown to Tampa Bay for 6th round 2011 draft pick and re-signed/restricted free agent WR Jason Avant to a Five-year contract
– Pittsburgh Steelers Re-signed Ryan Clark S Signed/unrestricted free agents Jonathan Scott T, Antwaan Randle El WR, Arnaz Battle WR and Will Allen S to three-year contracts.
– San Diego Chargers Acquired Marcus Mason RB from waivers
– St. Louis Rams Signed/unrestricted free agent DT Fred Robbins to a Three-year contract
To view the day-by-day free agent transactions for days 1, 2 and three, check out our Free Agency Transaction list. We’ll continue to monitor all activity as well as give our thoughts on the upcoming 2010 NFL Draft.